Monday, September 15, 2014

REVIEW - Trial by Fire, The Worldwalker Trilogy #1


Title: Trial by Fire
Author: Josephine Angelini
Release Date: September 2014
Pages: 374
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal
Time Took to Read: 8 hours

Synopsis: Found on Goodreads.

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.

What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected.

5 out of 5 stars


"Brave and stubborn and determined to break my heart."
--Rowan

Deep breaths Jess, seriously, just calm down.

Okay, lets start off with this.  I hate you cliffhangers.  Yes, yes I understand they are necessary.  You want me to yearn for the next book, to have to have it when it comes out.  You're a marketing tool.  You work great.  I understand.  However, you toy with my emotions.  You are a sadistic, sick, little beast, and I hate you.

So yes, this book ended on a cliffhanger. I have so many questions just hanging there, unanswered.  The marketing tool worked.  I will need the next book, immediately.  That doesn't make me happy about it though.

In case you were unable to tell from my rants above, I loved the book.  Hated the ending though.  I think I was close to crying.

Lily is awesome.  Despite her many weaknesses, she is still a strong woman, and I appreciate a strong independent woman. I love Juliet and her sweetness.  I am wondering what she will do now though.  Rowan, Tristan, Caleb, my heart goes out to them.  Rowan and Caleb have such sad lives, and I wanted to just cry while reading about them.

I loved all of the characters to be quite honest.  Even our villain, Lillian.

I am so glad that we were allowed to see into the minds of not just Lily, but Rowan as well.  It answered a lot of questions.

The world was well thought out.  At first, I admit, I was skeptical about how it would come together, after all, mixing so much ancient technology with present and future technologies is bound to create a jumbled mess.  Yet, it worked.  It didn't leave me going "how did that work?" and I am glad.

I definitely loved this book, and eagerly await the next one!

Oh, and V did not appreciate mama reading all day and ignoring him. He sat on the book several times all huffy like.
--Jessi

No comments:

Post a Comment